We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Black Maine Coon cats are majestic creatures. They are large, possess a luxurious coat, are extremely intelligent, loyal, and full of personality. But like all animals, their ownership shouldn’t be taken lightly. There are things you need to know before bringing one home, and this is the purpose of this article. By the end of it, you will be sufficiently educated to make the decision whether to own a black Maine Coon, or not.
What Is a Black Maine Coon Cat?
The Maine Coon is a breed of domesticated cat. A black Maine Coon cat is simply a Maine Coon that is colored black.
The Mammoth of the Domesticated Cat
Maine Coons are the largest breed of domesticated cat. Their distinctive frames are extremely muscular, making them highly skilled hunters. They are one of the oldest natural breeds in America, originally hailing from the state of Maine.
The Life of the Party
Maine Coons are loyal and very sociable; in fact, they are so friendly that they have earned the nickname, ‘The Gentle Giant’. They are highly intelligent, playful, and are even able to learn tricks. This has drawn not-unfair comparisons between them and our canine companions.
Maine Coon Origins
The origin of the Maine Coon are shrouded in myth and mystery. Here are a few folk tales on the origin of this majestic breed.
A Royal Lineage
Some say that they Mary Antoinette, in an unsuccessful attempt to escape the guillotine, loaded a ship with all of the possessions dear to her heart. These possessions included several Turkish Angora cats. Unfortunately, the Queen of France was beheaded in 1793, but her ship sailed on to the Americas. Here, the Turkish Angoras bred with the native North American short-haired breeds, and thus, the Maine Coon was brought into existence.
Another folk tale of the Maine Coon’s genesis goes something like this: Captain Charles Coon, an English seafarer, kept long-haired cats on his ship. Whenever his ship was anchored in New English ports, his cats would take shore leave, and, in typical sailor fashion, they would mate with the local population. When these local feral cats began to birth litters of kittens with long hair, they were referred to as ‘Coon’s Cats’.
This folk tale is the least plausible, but entertaining nonetheless: semi-feral domestic cats bred with raccoons. Another similar line of thought is that feral cats bred with bobcats, which is at least more believable than the racoon theory.
Are Black Maine Coon Cats Good Pets?
That is the question of the day. And the short answer is yes, they most certainly are.
Your Best Friend
The personality of Maine Coons is extremely agreeable to the home environment, and that doesn’t mean purely inside. Keeping cats inside exclusively is a cruel practice that should be eliminated. The Maine Coon will bring you much joy and companionship and will never fail to please or entertain.
Good With Children
Maine Coons are generally great with children due to their agreeable temperament.
Black Maine Coon cats need plenty of exercise, and unless you are keeping them prisoner inside all day, that shouldn’t be a problem. If you own an apartment, you are probably better off getting a goldfish.
They Are Large
Maine Coons can grow up to 16 inches in height and can weigh up to 18 pounds.
All cats shed fur, and some more than others. Unfortunately, due to the mass of long fur that is typical of the Maine Coon, it can be a slighter bigger problem than with other cat breeds. If you are really that worried about it, there is always the Sphynx.
For reasons that are fairly obvious, black Maine Coon cats need to be groomed regularly.
They Love Company
Maine Coons love company, and while this makes them brilliant buddies, they also have a tendency to get lonely. You can combat this by owning two, or by ensuring they are not left alone too often or for too long.
Like all domestic animal breeds, from English Bulldogs to Egyptian Maus, Maine Coons are prone to certain health defects. These include hip dysplasia, spinal muscular atrophy, feline hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, and polycystic kidney disease. They are also prone to dental problems.
Despite the aforementioned ailments, black Maine Coon cats generally have a good lifespan. On average they live from 10 – 13 years.
Some Facts About the Black Maine Coon Cat
Here are some facts about the Maine Coon that you may find interesting:
- They are the official state cat of Maine
- Their paws are coated with large tufts of fur
- They come in many different colors
- In 1895 a Maine Coon won one of the first American cats shows held in Madison Square Gardens
- They are one of the most popular domestic cat breeds in North America
- One starred in the Harry Potter movies
- A Maine Coon was the first pet animal to be cloned commercially
- An 8-year-old Maine Coon once held the world record for longest domestic cat
- A half-Maine Coon cat holds the record for the world’s oldest cat
- Maine Coons love water
- Some have six toes
- Ernest Hemingway was a lover of the breed
Black Maine Coon cats are certainly something. They are majestic, loyal, and intelligent. If you are serious about getting one, and are willing to invest time, money, and energy into it, then you won’t be disappointed.
If you’re just looking for a cute cat to take pictures of when you’re home from the bar or office, then a Maine Coon is most definitely not right for you. They are a breed that are worthy of your love and respect and need to be looked after with great care. If you are willing to look after one properly, then don’t hesitate to get one.
- BEAUTIFUL AND DURABLE This Cat Tree is made from highly durable compressed wood, wrapped with high quality Faux Fur...
- COMFORT AND ENTERTAINMENT FOR YOUR CAT: Your cat needs a space of their own to rest and play. They can take a nap or...
- FUN PLAYHOUSE: The quiet and roomy condo allows for your cat to nap without any disruptions; perches with raised edge...
- 🍃Your feline friends need a cozy home of their own to take a rest, play around and just be as active as they want,...
- 🍃Multi Level to Relax: Car tree is made of high quality particle board with skin-friendly plush covering to keep your...
- 🍃More Fun for Playtime: Multiple scratching posts are lined with natural sisal ropes is perfect for your cats to...
- ▶ Spacious & Versatile Fun Center - No matter your kitten wants to overlook the world on the top perch, melt into the...
- ▶ Designed to Fulfill Your Cat's Nature - This indoor cat treehouse is a go-to spot for your cat to play, exercise,...
- ▶ Sturdy Construction for Maximum Safety - Crafted of heavy-duty particle wood, the strengthened base plates double...
Last update on 2021-05-09 at 07:25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API